The Government has changed the law so that all young people will be required to continue in education or training:
- Until the end of the academic year in which they turn 17 from summer 2013; and
- Until their 18th birthday from summer 2015.
The information here will help you to understand what this means for you. If your child is currently in Year 11 or below, they will be affected.
When the participation age increases, young people will need to continue to study or train in one of several ways:
- Study full-time in a school, college or with a training provider.
- Full-time work or volunteering combined with part-time education or training.
- An Apprenticeship (www.apprenticeships.org.uk).